Natural honey is a food that provides us with multiple benefits for our body and beauty. The difference between this and industrial honey is that, being natural, it has not been pasteurized or subjected to processes in which it loses several of its properties. The pasteurization process is carried out to prevent the honey from crystallizing, keeping it looking fresh for a longer time, however in this process some enzymes, antioxidants and nutrients that this food has are lost.
Today we tell you some of the benefits that consuming natural honey will bring you:
- Promote sleep . For those who suffer from insomnia at night, a very good natural remedy to treat this is to consume natural honey before sleeping. What it does is promote nighttime relaxation and stimulate the action of tryptophan in the brain so that from this melatonin, the essential hormone for sleep regulation, is released.
- Helps fight constipation . Natural honey has a mild laxative effect, ideal for those who suffer from slow intestinal transit or constipation. The fructooligosaccharides that honey has, in addition to providing energy, regulate intestinal transit, and nourish the bacteria that inhabit the intestinal tract, thus favoring the digestive processes.
- Improves brain function . Honey is a very good natural energizer because it contains natural sugars, antioxidants and other nutrients with this function. By ingesting it on a regular basis, physical and mental performance is improved.
- Relieves wounds and burns . This is due to its antibiotic and healing action that serves to disinfect and accelerate the recovery process from this type of injury.
- Fight acne and other skin disorders. The application of honey on the skin stops antibacterial growth, fights allergic processes and reduces irritations caused by various factors.
- Strengthens the immune system . Honey has an antiviral effect that helps fight various types of microorganisms that lower our defenses. It also has certain nutrients that raise them, thus avoiding attack by viruses, bacteria and other agents that are harmful to our health.
- Fight your cough. It can be combined with lemon to obtain an excellent natural remedy for cough, with antiviral and expectorant effect.
Dr. Samantha Robson ( CRN: 0510146-5) is a nutritionist and website content reviewer related to her area of expertise. With a postgraduate degree in Nutrition from The University of Arizona, she is a specialist in Sports Nutrition from Oxford University and is also a member of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.