The lemon peel, like its juice, has many benefits that many are unaware of, and that can help alleviate digestive problems such as gas or inflammation. Although the most consumed of this fruit is its juice, it is estimated that the peel has five and up to ten times more vitamins than this.
The lemon peel:
- Helps detoxify the body: Lemon peel has vitamin C, pectins and various acidic compounds that purify and cleanse our body.
- Improves digestion: Lemon peel has digestive properties that are used to treat stomach problems such as gas, inflammation and pain.
- Protects the liver: Its antioxidants protect the liver, while stimulating it to expel substances that prevent it from working properly.
- Protects the immune system: As mentioned above, lemon peel contains ten times more vitamin C than juice, which makes it a perfect food to stimulate and increase the body’s immune response to prevent the appearance of diseases.
- Regulates the pH of the blood: Many chronic diseases originate from the acidification of the blood. Lemon is one of the best foods to alkalize the pH of the blood.
- Softens dry skin: There are areas of the body such as the elbows and knees tend to dry out easily due to the accumulation of dead cells. Lemon has qualities that help soften and improve the appearance of these parts of the body in a very short time.
Dr. Samantha Robson ( CRN: 0510146-5) is a nutritionist and website content reviewer related to her area of expertise. With a postgraduate degree in Nutrition from The University of Arizona, she is a specialist in Sports Nutrition from Oxford University and is also a member of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.