In medicine there are a large number of specialties, which are responsible for studying and evaluating certain health conditions, which are outside of general medicine; Among these specialties is urology, a field of medicine that studies, diagnoses, evaluates and treats diseases that are related to the urinary system, the retroperitoneum, the adrenal glands and the male reproductive system.
Urologists are an important part of society’s professionals, this is because they can identify serious diseases (such as nephrosis and urethritis), as well as help and indicate how to treat them, so that in this way, the individual may be in good health.
What is the role of urologists?
Urologists fulfill a wide variety of functions, which are extremely important, since they can greatly benefit the health and well-being of people. Therefore, it is necessary to know what are the benefits that exist thanks to these specialists, among which the following should be mentioned:
They help in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the urinary system
Any doctor who has specialized in urology, is in the capacity to make evaluations, give diagnoses and assign treatments, with respect to diseases and disorders related to the urinary system. Therefore, this type of doctor can treat both men and women, provided they have symptoms of diseases such as:
- Kidney stones.
- Urinary infection, also known as cystitis.
- Spasmodic bladder.
They specialize in the study and treatment of the male reproductive system
Urologists are known mainly for their interaction with the study, evaluation, treatment of diseases and other pathologies related to the male reproductive organ; Well, this is his specialty. Therefore, male patients (both infants and adults), should always attend the urologist, in case of presenting any unusual symptoms or condition in their reproductive system. Among the set of diseases that urologists can diagnose are all STDs, erection disorders, infertility, among others.
They diagnose pathologies related to the adrenal glands
Adrenal diseases , also known as adrenal diseases , originate from two small glands, which are located on the kidneys (only in the human anatomy), these are responsible for regulating the body’s reactions to stress. The pathologies that occur in these glands can only be evaluated by urologists, therefore, both female and male patients should turn to this type of specialists, in case of suffering from diseases such as:
- Adrenal insufficiency
Treat diseases of the retroperitoneum
Diseases caused by problems in the retroperitoneum (tissue that functions as a support for the organs found in the abdomen, and influences their movement), should only be evaluated by a urologist, this is because these types of problems, they are part of the areas that such professionals cover.
Areas of urology
As well as many of the specialties of medicine, urology has a diverse number of areas, or subspecialties, which focus on different areas, which are related to urology. Among the different areas, it is necessary to mention the following:
- Andrology: This area specializes in the study of diseases related to the functioning of the male sexual system, as well as male reproduction in general; that is, it covers aspects such as STDs, erectile dysfunction, infertility, among others.
- Urolithiasis: It is responsible for the study and development of diseases related to the urinary system (female and male), among them are stones, infections, obstructions, kidney problems, among others.
- Urological oncology: This is in charge of evaluating diseases related to cancer or tumors that develop in the genitourinary system of both genders.
- Neurourology: It is a subspecialty that is responsible for studying and controlling aspects related to the nervous system of the genitourinary system, as well as evaluating diseases such as interstitial cystitis, urinary incontinence, among others.
- Pediatric Urology: In this specialty of urology, it seeks to study all those diseases or problems that originate in the urinary or reproductive system of children, as well as babies who are between 1 and 2 years old.
- Geriatric urology: It is the specialty that evaluates the diseases that take place in the urinary and reproductive system of the elderly.
There are a lot of aspects that should be known regarding urologists, this is because this is a fairly complex profession. Among the relevant factors and aspects about urologists are:
What is a urologist and what does he do?
A urologist is a medical professional who specializes in the study and evaluation of the urinary system, as well as the male reproductive system. Therefore, it is generally in charge of carrying out evaluations that are related to such areas, in order to prevent the formation and development of pathologies that may take place in the individual’s body.
What does the urologist check you?
The review of a urologist, as well as that of any other doctor, can vary with each patient, since health problems and the method of review are different in each person. However, generally, in the consultations of this type of doctors, interrogations related to urinary and sexual habits are usually carried out (only in male patients, although it may vary) after that, the course of the consultation changes, depending on the gender of the patient. patient.
In the case of a male patient, the urologist proceeds to evaluate the patient’s limb, testicles and prostate with a physical examination (this procedure is done through digital rectal examination). After that, he takes a sample to evaluate the state of the prostate and thus rule out alterations.
What diseases does a urologist see?
The diseases that urologists usually see are quite varied, as well as complex, among the most relevant are usually the following:
- Cancer: it is evaluated only if it is within the specialty, that is, that this disease must affect the urinary system, or male reproductive system.
- Tumors: they are only studied if they affect the urinary system (of both genders) or the male reproductive system.
- Infections: are evaluated by the urologist, only if they occur in the male reproductive system and / or in the urinary system.
- Inflammations: they must originate in the urinary system or in the male reproductive system, to be evaluated by a urologist,
However, there are other pathologies that are usually evaluated, among them is incontinence, STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) in men, erectile dysfunction, male infertility, among others.
Female urology: What does a urologist do to a woman?
The urologist is a specialist in female urinary tract, as well as in treating diseases related to the renal system, in general. Therefore, when a woman goes to the urologist, he evaluates by means of ultrasound and laboratory tests, the state of the urinary system, in this way it will be possible to rule out the appearance or development of diseases of this nature.
How often do you have to go to the urologist?
Usually, it is recommended that consultations with the urologist, as well as with the general practitioner, be at least once a year (only in case of not presenting any health problem, related to the urinary system, or the male sexual system), as well it is possible to keep a control, which allows to avoid the advanced development of health problems.
However, it should also be taken into account that if you suffer from pain, incontinence, inflammation or any similar symptoms, when urinating, or having sexual intercourse (only applies to men), it is necessary to go to a medical consultation, with a urologist.
Importance of attending a consultation with a urologist
Urology is considered one of the most relevant medical specialties, which is not given the necessary importance. However, it should be borne in mind that urologists can help prevent certain diseases from developing in an advanced way, therefore, it is necessary to attend these types of consultations periodically, in order to maintain greater control over well-being. of own health.
Conclusion: Are urologists really necessary for society?
As has been well mentioned, the importance of urologists lies in the fact that these types of professionals help to know the state of people’s health, as well as to prevent certain diseases from worsening in the human body. Therefore, it is possible to affirm that urology is an extremely important profession and necessary for the well-being of society.