The tylenol is an analgesic and antipyretic indicated to treat conditions with minor ailments related headaches, muscle, menstrual, toothache, joints, discomfort caused by fever and also used as effective treatment for malaise caused by the common flu.
This medicine is used to treat allergy and common cold conditions. It is prescribed to help lower fever and reduce pain caused during these virological pictures. It is also indicated to relieve various pain and the reaction of some vaccines in children.
The active principle of this medicine is acetaminophen, which has an analgesic effect so that it acts at the level of the nervous system, inhibiting the nerve impulses that warn the brain about the pain that occurs in localized areas.
This medicine to eliminate fever, pain and inflammation is effective to treat mainly these cases:
- Moderate pain in the joints.
- Premenstrual and menstrual discomforts.
- Muscle pains.
- Fever and illness from flu and the common cold.
- Tooth pain from teething.
- Inflammation in the ears.
- Discomfort from a throat infection.
- Back pains.
- Vaccination fever.
- Viral fever
Before taking this medicine, the following warnings should be taken into account:
- In case I know that I am taking another medicine to treat colds, pain or to be able to sleep, the doctor should be informed, since the combination of some products can induce an overdose.
- While the person is under this treatment, alcoholic beverages should be avoided to avoid liver disease.
- It is important to store it in places at room temperature, away from heat and humidity.
- If the patient must undergo any surgery or medical tests, he must inform the doctor to indicate if he can continue taking the medicine or if he should stop taking it for a few days.
- The oral solution should be shaken well before use.
- During the gestation stage, the doctor must indicate the dose to take or if it should not be used due to complications during pregnancy.
- The doctor must know if the patient has hypersensitivity to it.
- The use of this medicine may have some inactive ingredients that can harm the body.
- Before starting this treatment, the doctor should know the medical history of the patient, especially if he has had or suffers from kidney or liver disease, alcohol abuse or some other condition.
- This medicine in its different presentations may contain sugar, therefore, care should be taken if there is diabetes or phenylketonuria.
How to take tylenol
To take this medicine you should know the following:
- This treatment must be carried out following the instructions on the label or follow the indications of the treating physician.
- Most medications that are prescribed for allergy symptoms or for the common cold should be taken until the symptoms have disappeared, therefore, treatment is recommended until the person has improved.
- The dose should not be exceeded, or take more than the indicated time to avoid adverse effects.
- If the fever persists after three days or if the pain does not improve after ten days have passed, this treatment should be stopped and see a doctor.
- In tablets : They come in boxes of 10, 20 and 50 tablets of 500 milligrams.
- In effervescent tablets : The box contains 30 tablets of 80 milligrams.
- In solution : It comes in a presentation with 15 milliliters of 32 milligrams and another with 120 milliliters of 100 milligrams.
- In suppositories : Each suppository is 100 milligrams.
Tylenol side effects
Even if this medicine is used under conditions controlled by the doctor, some side effects could arise, such as those that we will mention below:
- Rash outbreaks
- Red spots in some areas of the skin.
- Swelling in the feet, ankles, calves, or knees.
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and throat.
- Itching in various parts of the body.
- Skin rash.
- Burning eyes.
In the digestive system
- Difficulty to swallow.
- Pain in the upper area of the stomach.
- Constant fatigue
- Strong abdominal pain.
- Lack of appetite.
In the blood
- Decrease in blood values of:
- Red blood cells.
- White blood cells
In the renal system
- Renal insufficiency.
- Decrease in the amount of urine.
- Urine dark.
- Strong smell in urine.
In the liver
- Hepatic affections.
- Yellow coloring in the fingers and eyes.
- Sudden changes in bowel movements.
In the circulatory system
- High blood pressure level.
In the central nervous system
- Difficulty breathing.
- Tingling in the hands On the feet and other areas of the body.
Here are some contraindications to consider when using this antihistamine drug:
If the patient is allergic to this medicine, he cannot use it and should tell the doctor.
In case of diseases that are in serious liver conditions, treatment with this medicine is contraindicated.
People with alcoholism may not be able to use this medicine.
If you have cirrhosis of the liver, your doctor cannot prescribe this medicine.
This medicine should not be used without being prescribed by the doctor if you are pregnant or suspect.
While breastfeeding, this medicine cannot be taken as it causes severe harm to the baby.
Children under 2 years of age can only take this drug under strict medical prescription.
Tylenol use conclusion
This medication is mostly indicated to lower body temperature levels and helps relieve sneezing, headaches, watery eyes, and excess mucus in the nose caused by various allergies, flu, or the common cold. It is an antihistamine that has the ability to decrease the normal chemical histamine found in the body, generating symptoms of strong allergies and fever.
Dr. Samantha Robson ( CRN: 0510146-5) is a nutritionist and website content reviewer related to her area of expertise. With a postgraduate degree in Nutrition from The University of Arizona, she is a specialist in Sports Nutrition from Oxford University and is also a member of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.