Tea Tree Oil or Tea Tree Oil is also scientifically known as Melaleuca alternifolia Cheel. It is a natural remedy, which is formed by a mixture of organic compounds that serve to help with skin problems, beauty care and certain diseases of complex processes.
There are several years of scientific studies given in different specialized laboratories that highlight its properties and medicinal uses, tea tree oil provides many more benefits than you can imagine because it is also capable of acting against fungi, viruses and bacteria.
Its use dates back to the past, there are ancient evidences specifically in Australia at the time of the aborigines, they crushed the leaves and inhaled the oil thus obtaining a clear breath, they also applied the leaves directly on burns, cuts and boils producing a cooling effect already the antiseptic time.
How to use tea tree oil
Among its many uses are:
- To relieve skin irritations, you just need to apply 1-2 drops of the oil to the affected area.
- To strengthen the immune system, you should preferably add 1 to 2 drops of the oil to a citrus drink and consume it in the first hours of the morning.
- Combine 1 to 2 drops with the facial cleanser to activate the cleansing properties and have a glowing complexion, you can also apply and massage after a shave.
- After bathing, apply to fingernails and toenails to keep them purified, looking healthy and free of fungus.
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle of water and use it on surfaces to avoid environmental threats.
Skin care benefits
- Acne: it is used as a natural antiseptic, it helps to totally get rid of unwanted acne on the face and other parts of the body, if you use it in the right way you will get all its benefits. Apply a teaspoon of oil in approximately 50 ml of water, clean the affected area two to three times a day.
- Oily skin: the oil is not toxic and under the sensitization that it possesses it controls the extra fat of the face, that is why many recognized professional beauticians love to use it and fully recommend its use.
- Dark marks and spots: it is surprising all the properties that are obtained through the use of oil, it completely eliminates marks and dark spots in an affected area by applying and massaging between 2 to 3 drops of the oil.
- Cystic Acne: it is widely used when it comes to remedies for acne, body acne and cystic acne since it acts in an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agent, it also helps to disappear cystic acne.
- Acne Scars: the tree oil combined with Aloe Vera, completely gets rid of the scars produced by acne and in turn provides a hydrating effect, leaving a much smoother and smoother skin.
- Nail fungal infection: soak your feet in water combined with tea tree oil and heal nails with infection and attacks fungus.
- Eczema: it is used mainly to treat some skin allergies, combined with other natural herbs the mechanism of action is effectively reinforced.
Tea tree oil for corns, warts, wounds and ringworm
It can heal chapped lips, it is a good remedy for calluses, it also works for warts, you should only apply two drops to the affected area twice a day, if you have very sensitive skin, you should preferably dilute it a little in water and apply it with cotton wool, warts will disappear in a short time.
You should make sure to use tea tree oil very carefully as if you have overly sensitive skin it can cause irritation.
Benefits of tea tree oil for hair
- Hair growth: it is very beneficial in terms of hair growth so it helps uncover the hair follicles while nourishing the roots. To see results in the hair you must mix 10 ml of the oil with 100 ml of conditioner or any other carrier (oil, cream bath, etc.) massage the scalp for 5 minutes, you must take into account not to apply the oil directly since it can be too harsh on the scalp and cause damage to the scalp.
- Combat dandruff and lice: mix 10 ml of the product over 100 ml of daily shampoo that you use to wash your hair, use the shampoo normally and you will see the results because in a couple of days the dandruff will disappear, in the same way use to attack and eliminate lice.
- Dry scalp: the oil is very good for dry skin, so it hydrates hair and hair excellently. Its components eliminate all the existing blocks in the pores, to use it mix with any carrier oil (it can be jojoba) and gently massage the scalp (between 10 to 15 minutes), leave it to act for a couple of minutes and then wash properly habitual.
- Combat bacterial and viral infections: the nutrients and natural properties found in the oil can help attack viral and bacterial infections, these infections are often the cause of irritation to the scalp.
- Prevents hair loss: all women and men are afraid of hair loss, in this sense there are countless commercial chemical products that promise to be effective and safe treatments, however, some do more damage than good to the hair. On the contrary, with the use of tea tree oil, you can restore all the nutrients required for the emergence of firm and healthy hair.
- Sore Throat: combine a few drops of tree oil with lemon and garlic, it is excellent to relieve pain in the throat.
- Congestion: when you inhale the tea tree oil, you effectively decongest the chest, heat a few drops in a metal spoon and inhale the steam that it gives off, you will obtain excellent results as it totally reduces congestion and at the same time fights the bacteria.
- Yeast infection: fight against bacteria such as staphylococcus aureus and esherichia coli, several studies have shown its effectiveness on candida or candidiasis battery.
- Oral problems: in case you did not know, some toothpastes use tea tree oil to attack the bacteria and fungi that form inside the mouth, it is also recommended to help with gum problems, gingivitis, among others. To use it you must add 3 drops of oil in a container with 200 ml of warm water and rinse your mouth twice a day; completely eliminates bad breath and also toothache.
- Strengthens and treats diseases of some main organs: strengthens the body’s immune system that can be weakened by the attack of various diseases, stress, the consumption of drugs and antibiotics, it is used to treat respiratory problems such as flu, cold, asthma, bronchitis and cough, it is also used to attack the chickenpox virus, measles and cold sores.
- Pink Eye Relief: effective to attack the symptoms of conjunctivitis, red eyes, itching and pain caused by some kind of virus; To use it as a treatment, you must prepare a green tea fusion (approximately 50 ml) and add 5 drops of tea tree oil, boil for 5 minutes and let it cool, apply compresses to the affected area for 20 minutes; relief will be immediately in the eyes.
- Keeps insects away: acts as a natural insect deterrent, repels mosquitoes, lice, flies and bugs; You just have to mix a few drops of oil with any other carrier, it can be such as sunflower oil and apply it gently on the skin.
- For cleaning: you can use it to clean floors, wash dishes, mats, mattresses, shoes, carpets, clothes, tiles, among others. Mix 10 drops of oil in a cup of water, add the content in a spray bottle and spray the area you want to clean, the oil provides a pleasant smell, you will feel fresh and clean.
Tea tree oil on the market
This product has become one of the most popular in the market gaining much fame over the years, nowadays it can be easily found in health food stores and pharmacies, in stores specializing in sales of beauty products and health care as well as cosmetics sales.
There is a wide variety of personal hygiene products that contain tea tree oil as the main ingredient, mixed with other refreshing, toning and purifying plants for the benefit and health of the skin.
- Tea tree oil is too strong, you should never consume it pure or apply it directly to the skin, you should always dilute it with water, oil or any other carrier.
- Excess use can be detrimental to the health of your body, you should always use it moderately and consult a specialist, its prolonged use can have serious consequences on the hair.
- Keep the product out of the reach of children, in its original packaging and store at room temperature, do not expose the container to high temperatures or areas with too much humidity.
- In case of accidental ingestion, consult your doctor or go to the hospital in your community.
Dr. Samantha Robson ( CRN: 0510146-5) is a nutritionist and website content reviewer related to her area of expertise. With a postgraduate degree in Nutrition from The University of Arizona, she is a specialist in Sports Nutrition from Oxford University and is also a member of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.