The Sendalmerck is a medicine used to relieve or eliminate either headache, muscular, back pain , arthritis, among other ailments that affect the body of an individual. It is also used to attack fever in a symptomatic way, that is, it relieves the symptoms of discomfort but does not act on the cause that originates it.
Its composition is given in 90% of paracetamol which is the equivalent of 500 mg in each tablet or capsule, 50 mg of caffeine and 5 mg of phenylephrine hydrochloride, its absorption is rapid and complete so its effect occurs between 15 minutes and 60 minutes after consuming it.
If you want to know the main uses that are given to this drug, its effects on the body, application and dosage, contraindications, among many other things that characterize this drug, I invite you to continue with us in the next article.
Indications of sedalmerck
It is indicated how:
- To alleviate the pain.
- Nasal decongestant.
- To treat symptoms of the common cold.
- Discomfort caused by the flu.
- Pain caused by dental conditions.
- Dolores post operatorios.
- Period pains.
- Hay fever.
- Among other.
This drug is a compound prepared from analgesics and antipyretics that together reinforce each other, achieving that their action has an impact on the body much more quickly and effectively, caffeine stimulates respiration and improves circulation, it also intervenes in increased permeability of calcium in the sarcoplasmic reticulum and decreased sleep due to adenosine receptor blockade.
Paracetamol acts on the body by inhibiting the production of the enzyme Cyclooxygenase, which is responsible for producing a chemical called prostaglandin that intervenes in the painful stimulus.
Phenylephrine hydrochloride, also known as a nasal decongestant, acts to relieve respiratory discomfort, has a decongestant effect and helps to release the pressure that occurs in the paranasal sinuses, its effect is symptomatic since it does not attack the cause of the disease or intervene in the patient’s recovery process simply relieves the discomfort.
For adults and children over 14 years: 1 tablet every 8 hours.
For children under 3 months: ½ dropper (weight 6 to 11 pounds). Every 6 hours.
For children 4 to 9 months: ¾ of dropper (weight 12 to 17 pounds). Every 6 hours.
For children 10-24 months: 1 dropper (weight 18-25 pounds). Every 6 hours.
For children 2 to 3 years: 1 ½ dropper (weight 25 to 33 pounds). Every 6 hours.
For children 4-5 years: 2 droppers (weight 35-40 pounds). Every 6 hours.
Presentation Sedalmerck Max
- 90% paracetamol equivalent to 650 mg.
- Cafeína 65 mg.
- Excipient 1 tablet.
It produces a greater analgesic effect and is recommended to treat severe headaches and migraines, postoperative use, toothache and back pain.
Presentations available in the market.
- 500 mg tablets with 20, 40, 60 and 200 tablets.
- 650 mg tablets with 20, 40 and 60 tablets.
- Frasco infantil 100 mg / 60 ml.
There is an increased risk of hepatotoxicity in people who consume more than three drinks of alcohol per day.
In people with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency problems, cases have been discovered that have resulted in hemolytic anemia in the patient, when paracetamol has been administered.
Caution should be exercised in patients with cardiorespiratory diseases, suffering from hypertension, asthma, glaucoma, intestinal obstruction and also hyperthyroidism.
The recommended dose should not be exceeded, it has been determined that in adults doses greater than 250 mg per day of caffeine increase the possibility of having adverse effects on the body.
This medicine can influence the patient’s ability to react, it can cause lethargy so it is not advisable to operate machinery or drive vehicles while using it. Nor should you consume alcohol while you are consuming it.
Some reactions have been determined by the consumption of this drug, however, they are not usually very common while the recommended doses are administered, among them are:
- He retched.
- Facial edema
- Hypertensive crisis.
- Urinary retention.
- Acute liver injury if administered in high doses.
- Renal failure due to acute consumption of high and excessive doses.
- Skin reactions
- Papillary necrosis.
- Hemolytic anemia.
High doses of caffeine can cause the following effects:
- Dryness of the skin
- Involuntary tremors
- Bad mood.
- Lack of sleep.
As it is well known, like any other drug, its use should be carried out under medical indications and the recommended dose should never be abused, its use should also be considered in certain pathologies:
- People allergic to the active compounds of sedalmerck.
- Hemolytic anemia.
- Respiratory deficit.
- Its use is not recommended in the presence of glaucoma.
- Serious cardiorespiratory processes.
- Hypertensive people.
- Prostate adenoma.
- Pregnant or lactating women should not consume the drug.
- Chronic kidney disease.
- People with liver diseases or disorders such as:
- Hepatitis A.
- Hepatitis B.
- Hepatitis C.
- Biliary cirrhosis
- Hepatic cirrhosis.
Interactions with other medications
- It is important to always take into account and inform your treating physician of any other medications that are frequently consumed, since medications such as fosphenytoin and phenytoin have been shown to decrease the action of paracetamol and increase the risk levels of suffering from hepatotoxicity. .
- Propantheline causes the body to decrease the ability to absorb paracetamol, on the other hand, metoclopramide makes absorption accelerated.
- Coadministration of adrenergics can cause hypertension in the patient.
- If you are being treated with quinoles (chemotherapy-type agents) or benzodiazepines theophylline, you should consult your doctor.
What to do in case of overdose
Overindication or abusive intake of the drug can produce a depressive manifestation in the central nervous system with great consequences for the body, affecting kidney function, the cardiorespiratory system, blood pressure increases, vomiting, nausea and headache can also occur. .
In the event of an overdose or accidental ingestion, consult your doctor immediately, if you present any of the aforementioned symptoms, go to the nearest health center in your community.
How to store and dispose of
Always keep the product in its original container and try to keep it closed, whenever you have any medicine, keep it in a safe place and out of the reach of children, keep it at a temperature below 25 ° and never expose the medicine to humidity and less in places like bathrooms.
To avoid accidental consumption on animals or children, do not dispose of in the trash, ask your pharmacist for the plan for returning expired medicines or disposal of the same.
Consider the following
- Do not use in children under 14 years the product in tablets.
- Do not leave the medicine in the hand of children.
- Do not ingest if you are pregnant or lactating.
- You should not use the treatment for more than five days, it has been shown that frequent use can cause serious liver damage.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking this medicine.
Dr. Samantha Robson ( CRN: 0510146-5) is a nutritionist and website content reviewer related to her area of expertise. With a postgraduate degree in Nutrition from The University of Arizona, she is a specialist in Sports Nutrition from Oxford University and is also a member of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.