Tea is one of the most popular beverages worldwide, being surpassed only by water. There are several varieties, including red tea , a tea originating in the province of Yunnan – China. This tea is not as well known as black tea or green tea, however its properties and health benefits are innumerable, that is why more and more people decide to drink this tea in their day to day life.
What is red tea? Everything you need to know about this tea
The red tea also known as Pu-erh, is an original infusion of China. It is collected since the Tang dynasty in the years 618 – 907 in the Yunnan region, however it was not until the years 1368 – 1644 when economic benefits began to be perceived in its collection.
This infusion is not widely consumed worldwide, in fact, the country where it is most consumed is precisely China, followed by Russia and some countries on the European continent.
Generally, red tea is made from the leaves of the Sunshine Withering Antirhea Chinensis tree , which is traditionally found in southwest China and in the border areas with Vietnam, Tibet and Burma.
The fermentation process of red tea can last from 2 to 60 years, which helps the leaves take on the reddish color that characterizes this plant.
What are the benefits of red tea?
The benefits of red tea are many, in fact, in China this tea is known precisely for the great health benefits it provides. In general it is recommended for its diuretic properties and to help you lose weight.
It has diuretic properties
Among the properties of red tea is its diuretic power and in turn favors the elimination of toxins naturally, on the other hand it prevents fluid retention, which is beneficial if you want to lose weight.
In general, weight loss does not depend fundamentally on the diuretic properties of tea, however, the fact that it is good for the elimination of toxins and the prevention of fluid retention, greatly favors the reduction of body weight.
Red tea has some properties that provide the secretion of gastric acids, which is highly favorable for digestion, that is, it accelerates the metabolism of those foods consumed that have not been digested.
A tip is to drink the red tea half an hour after the meal, this increases the digestion capacity and makes the fats filter more efficiently.
Regulates cholesterol and triglycerides
Several studies have shown that the consumption of red tea helps reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. The study was based on a practice in which people who drank 15 grams of red tea daily had a marked reduction in their blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
Useful for weight loss
Among other benefits of red tea is its usefulness for weight loss. Generally, red tea is used in those diets in which people seek to lose weight in a healthy way, since it is proven to have slimming properties.
On the other hand, when combined with the benefit it provides by regulating digestion and its diuretic properties, it adds added value for those who want to lose weight in a healthy and natural way.
Natural properties of red tea
In general, red tea provides many health benefits to the person who ingests it. Among its most outstanding properties are:
- Reduces the levels of fat in the body.
- Reduces Cholesterine and Triglycerids levels.
- It has detoxifying properties.
- It helps you lose weight.
- It has diuretic properties.
- Prevents respiratory diseases.
- Reduces heart failure.
- It prevents infections.
- Prevents tumor and cancer cell formation.
It should be noted that not all these properties have been confirmed by scientists, however there have been studies at university level in which the results have been favorable.
What are the contraindications of red tea?
Red tea has many benefits, however despite them, there are some contraindications, especially for those who have hypertension or tachycardia problems, since red tea is rich in theine, which generates an increase in heart rate. In general, this infusion is contraindicated for:
- People with hypertension.
- People suffering from anemia.
- Pregnant or lactating women.
- People with insomnia problems.
- Anyone suffering from nervousness.
- People with tachycardia.
Tips for buying good red tea
Buying a good tea that can make the most of its properties is not an easy task, which is why here are some tips that should be applied to make a good purchase, both that benefits health and the economy.
In the first instance, it is essential to choose a red tea that comes in strands, and not those that are sold in bags, since these are not as natural as the first option.
On the other hand, if you are inexperienced in the consumption of this tea, it is important to try several brands or visit several places where they sell them; this in order to test the quality and flavor of each one. However, it is important not to saturate the palate or pocket with too much tea, just buying one and trying is enough.
How to drink red tea?
Red tea can be taken when preparing infusions, either in strands or in bags. On the other hand, there are red tea capsules that can also be taken.
- Red strands tea: this is characterized by being more natural, in fact, it is more recommended if you want to take full advantage of all the properties and benefits that this tea has. In general, it is ideal not to exceed 95 ° C of temperature or 3 minutes of infusion, this so that the tea preserves its flavor better.
- Red tea in a bag: this is the most practical option, since it comes in individual packages, which is favorable if you want to take to school, work or simply carry it with you in a purse.
- Red tea in capsules: this way of drinking red tea is especially for those people who do not like the taste of infusions, so taking them in capsules makes the person nourish with the benefits of tea without having to drink it .
Recipes with red tea
While it is true that natural red tea is very delicious, combining it with some other ingredients makes it possible to enjoy varied flavors. Especially for those people who want to lose weight by drinking red tea , or those who consume it frequently, in order to vary in taste.
- Red tea with vanilla: For those people who love vanilla, a good idea is to mix four tablespoons of tea with two of vanilla.
- Red Ginger Tea : Ginger tea is ideal for those looking to lose weight. You should mix four tablespoons of red tea, two pieces of grated ginger and if desired an orange peel for flavor.
- Red tea with strawberry smoothie: this recipe is very useful as it acts as an antioxidant, is low in calories and refreshing.
Dr. Samantha Robson ( CRN: 0510146-5) is a nutritionist and website content reviewer related to her area of expertise. With a postgraduate degree in Nutrition from The University of Arizona, she is a specialist in Sports Nutrition from Oxford University and is also a member of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.