The neosporin , is a topical component acting as antibiotic to fight bacteria and prevent infections in small wounds, minor burns, skin infections or abrasions on the skin and to protect lacerations, ulcerations, grafts and cuts by surgical procedures. Thanks to its three components of neomycin sulfate, zinc bacitracin and polymyxin B sulfate, this ointment performs an effective action to eliminate bacterial infections and accelerate their healing.
This topical ointment is indicated to moisturize and treat a wide variety of bacterial infections that form on the skin from burns, wounds, and minor cuts. The antibiotics it contains can have an effective effect on the formation of bacteria that occur in infections and can eliminate them completely.
It is a medicine that is used for the following indications or treatments:
- Treat bacterial infections found on the surface of the skin.
- Infected ulcers.
- Cuts caused by accidents.
- Wounds from surgical procedures.
- Development of infected dermatological conditions.
- Helps eliminate dead cells found on the skin, restoring moisture and adequate softness.
- Relieve burns caused by radiation therapy treatments.
- The formation of dermatitis from the use of diapers.
- Moisturize or prevent dry, peeling, rough, irritated, or itchy skin.
How to use neosporin
To use this topical ointment, the following instructions should be taken into account:
- It is necessary to follow the indications found on the label or according to the prescription of the treating physician.
- It should be used for the indicated time and in the prescribed amounts, to avoid adverse effects.
- It is very important to wash the affected area with soap and plenty of water, and then apply the medicine once it is completely dry.
- Not for use on animal bite wounds, deep cuts, or severe burns.
- Its use should be limited by applying it to the affected areas and not spreading the ointment on the skin.
- It should be applied at least 3 times a day or as the doctor has indicated.
- The wound can be covered with bandages after applying the medicine. Each time the medicine is cleaned and applied to the wound, a new bandage should be used.
- If the infection has been completely cured, the indicated treatment must also be completed to prevent the bacteria from reproducing again.
- If no improvement is seen in the infection after 7 days of treatment, the doctor should be informed as soon as possible, so that he can make new indications.
- This medicine must be kept in places that are at room temperature, away from heat and moisture.
Composition of neosporin
This topical component is composed of the following 3 antibiotics:
It can successfully attack the synthesis of bacterial protein and thus effectively deteriorate it.
Polymyxin B sulfate
It is an excellent antibiotic that acts against gram-negative bacteria, has the ability to disintegrate the membranes of sensitive bacteria and prevents them from reproducing again by completely eliminating them.
Bacitracina de zinc
It is known as an excellent antibiotic that can inhibit the assimilation of amino acids through the walls of bacterial cells, this manages to destroy the membranes it contains to completely eliminate the bacteria.
Recommended doses of neosporin
This product for cutaneous administration should be dosed as follows:
In children older than 2 years
The affected area must be cleaned very well and then the medicine is applied in a small amount that covers only the affected part 3 times a day.
The affected area must be washed well to eliminate all the residues of scabs, pus and necrotic tissues, once the affected area is cleaned, a thin layer of the medicine should be placed on it. This should be done at least 3 times a day.
Before starting to use this treatment, it is necessary to be informed about the warnings that must be taken to prevent the possibility of suffering side effects that may harm us. Here are some important precautions:
- If the doctor prescribes this medicine, he should be informed if there is hypersensitivity to its active component or to any of its ingredients.
- This medicine contains inactive ingredients that can cause problems or allergic reactions.
- In the presence of cuts, skin sores or any other infection, a doctor should be consulted before using this product.
- This medicine contains fragrances and preservatives that can cause sensitivity to the sun, the doctor will surely indicate a sun protection cream and will recommend wearing appropriate clothing when being outdoors.
- During the use of this product, avoid prolonged exposure to the sun and do not use lamps or tanning beds.
- This medicine can make acne problems worse.
- This type of product can discolor or stain clothing.
- You should avoid applying this medicine to the breasts, if you are breastfeeding.
- It is recommended not to mix the use of this product with other medications, especially if they are aminoglycosides, since irreversible ototoxicity could occur.
- When using this antibacterial product for a long time, the growth of non-susceptible organisms or severe fungal infections could occur.
- If there is disease or damage to the kidneys, the proper elimination of this drug is reduced.
Neosporin side effects
On many occasions, medications can affect us and cause unfavorable conditions when used, in which case it is necessary to inform the doctor or attend an emergency medical center as soon as possible. Some of the possible side effects of this medicine are:
- Redness or severe irritation.
- Mild rash
- Pus discharge or other signs of infection.
- Hearing loss.
- Hives formation.
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and throat.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Inflammation around the hair follicles.
- Discoloration of the skin or stretch marks.
- Acne formation.
- Unusual hair growth.
- Dry skin.
- Burning and stinging in the areas where the medicine is applied.
- Appearance of sores.
- Presence of scales.
- Strong localized pain in the affected areas.
- Ulcer formation.
- Severe infection in scrapes and wounds.
- Poor venous circulation.
The doctor must be informed, if there are any conditions before starting to use this medicine so that he can indicate the appropriate prescription. Here are some important contraindications:
- It should be avoided in the presence of hypersensitivity to the drug or any of the components of its formula.
- It is contraindicated in the presence of deafness due to the preexistence of problems in the auditory nerve due to the systemic absorption of this medicine.
- It should not be used as a treatment for external otitis with tympanic perforations, as there may be a risk of ototoxicity.
- Its use is not recommended in children under 2 years of age.
- Due to its high content of nephrotoxic and ototoxic, it is not recommended to use it in large quantities, or for very long periods on large surfaces, as it is a systemic absorbing drug.
Conclusion of the use of neosporin
In conclusion, it can be said that this topical ointment contains broad spectrum bactericidal antibiotics that together with other properties are used to promote and combat possible superficial skin infections. Its effective activity can act in the treatment of infections, infected ulcers, scrapes, minor burns, accidental cuts, impetigo, abrasions, laceration sutures, infected skin conditions or after surgical procedures, among others.
Your interest in reading this interesting topic, we are pleased. Thank you for choosing us!