The dimethicone is known as a medicine pharmaceutically containing inert polymers, tensioactive, being a compound of silicon oxide and dimethylpolysiloxane. Thanks to this composition, prevention and treatments are conditioned for the proper functioning of the digestive system , thus avoiding digestive deficiencies an conditions such as flatulence and gas retention, which causes colic and general discomfort.
To learn more about the uses and indications of this drug, we invite you to continue reading.
Uses and indications of Dimethicone
This medicine is widely used for ailments generated in the digestive system such as gas, so it is beneficial to treat the following conditions:Bloating and irritable bowel syndrome
- Dyspepsia in people who feel heaviness, burning, flatulence or nausea after eating during digestion, causing great stomach pain.
- Bed sores or ulcers that are caused in people who lie down for a long time due to an illness.
- Bloating or bloating at the abdominal level, caused by the accumulation of gases or aerocolia, which is nothing more than many gases accumulated in the colon.
- Accumulation in the intestine of food that is ingested and fermented causing stomach upset, heaviness, burning and nausea.
It is essential and timely to seek professional help in these cases, since the symptoms tend to be confused with other similar conditions.
In addition to these diseases, it also works effectively in the following cases:
Dimethicone for Babies
This medicine when ingested by babies or children under 2 years of age, it is recommended that its oral dose be indicated by a specialist, since reactions in them can cause colic, nausea, constipation or dyspepsia, especially in babies in stage lactation when they take in excess air when consuming their food, leading to a general malaise. Its relief action in infants can last up to more than 4 hours.
Dimethicone for hair
It has become known as a compound to end the existence of lice, due to its active components, but it would be extremely important to consult a specialist before using it in any of its forms.
Mechanism of action of Dimethicone
Dimethicone acts in the digestive system with a decrease in surface tension, creating gaseous mucous bubbles, which are what retain gases.
These bubbles are transformed from the smallest to the largest causing them to break, then they are easily eliminated from the body through belching, flatulence or increasing the absorption of gases by the bloodstream.
It is not absorbed through the gastrointestinal tract, it does not obstruct its gastric secretion or nutrients and when excreting its feces there are no great changes.
Its anti-flatulent property relaxes the muscular system, relieving spasms in the system, since it acts as an antifoam agent and reduces windiness. This is available in any pharmacological store as a generic in any of its brands.
How is Dimethicone administered?
The administration doses that can be advised for general cases will be presented below, however, it is not intended to contradict the specialist in case he indicates otherwise, depending on the case and diagnosis to be treated, it will always be important to consult first with the doctor if it is the ideal medicine for the condition that is suffered and if the dose is adequate.
Dimethicone in adults:
Either orally or suspension, doses of 40 to 80 mg after each meal, three times a day or every 6 to 8 hours.
Dimethicone in children:
Babies under 2 years are administered orally: doses of 23 to 41mg, or 5 to 9 drops before each bottle or porridge (meal), 4 times a day. The maximum dose cannot be more than 300mg per day.
In the case of children from 2 to 12 years old: doses of 45 to 100mg, or 10 to 22 drops before each meal and at bedtime, or every 6 or 8 hours. the maximum dose cannot exceed 500mg in the day.
Dimethicone for the skin:
If it is going to be used for skin sores in its first phase, or for its prevention, the patient should be rolled over on the mattress and smeared the affected area with the medicine, this is done approximately every 4 or 6 hours during the day .
Everything advisable in these terms is only referential or in the sense of guiding the interested party, since at no time has it been intended to displace science specialists in their diagnoses and recommendations.
Presentations of Dimethicone
This drug comes in tablets, drops, or emulsion. The dose will depend on each specific case, according to the conditions of each patient and the medications to be administered.
The 22 drops for each milliliter of suspension contain 100mg of this medicine, the bottle or dropper contains 15 to 30ml.
Each contains 40mg of Dimethicone and 50mg of Calcium Pantothenate with 24 tablets in each box.
Contraindications presented by Dimethicone
The contraindications that should be considered before treating with this drug are the following, precautions and provisions should be taken as the case may be:
- Cases of intestinal perforation obstruction, obstruction, aerophagia, intestinal dyspepsia, irritable bowel and peptic ulcer.
- Avoid everything that accelerates the production and accumulation of gases in the stomach such as high glucose consumption, food that is too hot, eating too fast, smoking, chewing gum, among others; In these cases it is advisable to walk to help eliminate gas and its discomfort.
Other general warnings
- Do not use in people who have glaucoma, bleeding in the digestive system.
- When there is breast cancer that chemotherapy is being used.
- Avoid eating foods that cause gas.
- If you are allergic or hypersensitive to this medicine or are unknown to it, seek medical advice before use.
- This medicine should not be used in neonates born below 6 months.
- Do not self-medicate with this drug or do it with another person, even if you find that your symptoms are the same or similar, since each organism reacts differently according to its health and types of medications.
- It can be administered in women who suspect pregnancy, during this or during lactation, it is known that it does not cross the placenta and is not transmitted to breast milk in large significant quantities.
- The interaction of this medicine with alcohol is not recommended , since it is not known what reactions it could cause in the body.
- You should avoid consuming the drug Acarbose, which is used to treat type 2 diabetes and prediabetes if you are being treated with this drug.
Side effects of using dimethicone
These side effects will vary according to the condition of each patient, even so, they will be mild and the most frequent may be symptoms of constipation.
The ones listed below are unusual, and if not taken into account, your discomfort could be prolonged or worse, if any of these symptoms appear, it is advisable to consult a specialist quickly:
- Dry mouth
- Blurry vision.
Dimethicone with other medications
It interacts with other drugs without problem, however, it is not ruled out that this or another drug that is taken together loses part of its components and reaction, decreasing or canceling its properties.
Dimethicone interacts with drugs such as:
- Antacids and Antihistamines.
- Amantadine: It is used against the influenza virus and Parkinson’s disease.
- Benzodiazepines (psychotropic-type medications).
- Corticosteroids (synthetic steroid hormones).
- antiarrhythmic and cardiac disorders.
- Digoxin: This compound is used as an agent Based on studies of the medicine and products consumed by the patient to be treated, the specialist will weigh the potential interactions with Dimethicone and possibly make changes to the intake and its indications or decide to interrupt the administration of any of the drugs.
Dimethicone has a very low risk that it may cause dependence, for this reason when it is found that the discomfort has been overcome, you can suspend its consumption without any problem, although no problem has ever been reported with this drug due to taking it for a long time.
Although it has not been reported as other medications that should be purchased only under strict medical prescription, it must be treated under the strict supervision of a trusted specialist.