The cyclobenzaprine is a drug compound which is used as depressant and central nervous system as a muscle relaxant powerful. It is used to treat symptomatic problems and adjuncts in physical therapies to improve pain caused by muscle spasms that are associated with acute musculoskeletal pathologies and various injuries. It also has the ability to block pain sensations that pass to the nervous system.
It is a drug with good benefits to treat muscle spasms that come from the peripheral system without interfering with proper muscle function. It acts based on the central nervous system at the level of the brain stem.
In the area of the spinal cord, it totally generates a relaxing action that contributes to the decrease of the tonic somatic motor activity that influences the gamma and alpha motor neurons.
Its effect includes tricyclic antidepressants, norepinephrine enhancement, strong central and peripheral anticholinergic actions, reserpin antagonism, and a sensation of sedation.
This muscle relaxant is used to treat:
- Stiff neck.
- Cervical whiplash
- Fibromyalgia Symptoms.
- Muscle tension from anxiety.
- Acute traumatic muscle pain.
- Degenerative osteoarthritis.
- Muscle contractures.
- Tendon, muscle and ligament strains.
- Lumbosacral or cervical radiculopathy.
- Control post-extraction trismus of the third molar.
- Strong pain in the neck and back.
How to use cyclobenzaprine
To use this medicine, the following indications should be followed:
- This extended-release medication can be taken with or without food.
- Treatment should be strictly followed as indicated on the label or as prescribed by the treating physician.
- It is important not to exceed or decrease the indicated doses of the drug.
- The capsule or tablet should be swallowed whole, crushing, chewing or splitting is not recommended.
- If the extended-release capsule cannot be swallowed whole, its contents can be mixed with an applesauce. This mixture should be swallowed quickly without chewing and after swallowing it is recommended to drink enough liquid and make sure the medicine has been swallowed completely.
- The most prudent thing is to take this medicine with a glass of water. If stomach upset occurs, it is recommended to take it with milk or with food.
- If an overdose occurs, it is recommended to contact the doctor immediately or go to an emergency center.
- This medicine should not be shared or recommended, as each patient can present with different conditions.
- It is very important to keep it out of the reach of children.
- It should be reserved in places that are at room temperature, away from heat and humidity.
Presentations and components of cyclobenzaprine
This medicine comes in 2 forms:
- The capsules are made up of 10 milligrams of its active ingredient, accompanied by components such as talc, indigotine, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, quinoline, hard gelatin and microcrystalline cellulose.
- They can be taken with or without food, once a day for 3 weeks of treatment.
- Each of the tablets contains 10 milligrams of its active ingredient, the additional components are: hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, colloidal silicon dioxide, starch, yellow ferric oxide, mocrocrystalline cellulose, purified water, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide and anhydrous lactose.
- This presentation should be taken orally, 3 times a day, in treatments of 2 to 3 weeks or as prescribed by the treating physician.
When starting to take this treatment, it is important to know the warnings that we will mention below and thus avoid adverse reactions that can cause harmful reactions in the body:
- This medicine can cause serotonin syndrome when mixed with other medicines.
- If the symptoms of the condition do not improve after the days of treatment or if they worsen, a doctor should be consulted as soon as possible.
- The doctor must be aware in case of pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding, to take the necessary precautions.
- It is recommended not to ingest alcoholic beverages during the intake of this medicine, it could cause strong sedative actions.
- In the case of the elderly, they should be attentive to the reactions of this medicine, since they are more prone to side effects such as urinary retention, stiffness, dizziness, dry mouth and liver or kidney damage, among others.
- It is not recommended for children under 15 years of age.
Side effects of cyclobenzaprine
When I know you are under this treatment, side effects could occur that can generate symptoms and reactions such as those that we will point out below:
Common side effects
- Dry mouth sensation
- Soft spot.
- Lack of appetite.
- Muscular weakness.
- Pain in the stomach.
- Blurry vision.
- Frequent sweating
- Feeling of extreme tiredness.
Serious side effects
- Severe chest pains
- Lack of concentration.
- Dark coloration in urine samples.
- Lack of balance
- Painful skin rashes.
- Fast and irregular heart rate.
- Swelling of the face, mouth, tongue, and throat.
- Difficulty to swallow.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Difficulty moving the body and speaking.
- Agitated behavior.
- Tremors in some parts of the body.
- Fainting or loss of consciousness.
- Tingling sensation in the body.
Contraindications of cyclobenzaprine
To use this medicine, it is necessary to inform the doctor if there are any diseases or illnesses, so that he can indicate whether the body is capable of taking it or not. Following this we present some contraindications that you should take into account:
- If there is a history of hypersensitivity to this drug or any of its components, taking it is contraindicated.
- In the presence of arrhythmia, hyperthyroidism, insufficiency and alterations in cardiac conduction or if you have suffered an acute myocardial infarction, you should avoid taking this medicine.
- Great caution should be exercised if there is a history of urinary retention, seizures, peptic ulcers, elevated intraocular pressure, angle-closure glaucoma, high blood pressure, and kidney or liver failure. In these cases, only the doctor can indicate if you can use this medicine.
- On many occasions it usually causes drowsiness, therefore, it is recommended to avoid driving vehicles, operating high-risk machinery or performing activities that require maximum concentration.
Conclusion of the use of cyclobenzaprine
In general terms, we can say to conclude that this analgesic drug is a substance with excellent properties that can relax the muscles locally without interfering with its functions. It can improve aches and pains due to muscle contractures and inflammation, spasms related to acute musculoskeletal disorders.
We hope that this information has been to your liking and has everything you were looking for. Thank you for choosing us!