Biology is a word formed by “bios” whose meaning is “life” and “lodge” which means “study of” both terms in the Greek language and refer to the “study of life”. We are talking about such a broad science that it encompasses the investigation of every living species on the planet (human, animal and plant), evaluating the growth, development and behavior of any species .
Biology benefits different areas of study and other sciences also provide information for its advancement. Ask ourselves the question, What is biology for? opens the possibility of investigating in multiple areas to get answers.
What is biology and what is it for?
Biology can be defined as the science that is responsible for the study of all living species in any of its types. This includes the analysis of its morphological, physiological and cellular structure, as well as its growth, functioning and development.
Biology is undoubtedly a science that can be very useful in different aspects and areas. Among the most fundamental characteristics are:
- Know about the general functioning of all living organisms.
- Know the cell theory.
- Investigate viruses or bacteria and how these can affect the life of any species.
- Study the nutritional resources that nature offers us.
- Know about genetics, and even investigate the benefits that inheritance offers.
- Know the ecology.
- Know about the food chain.
- Investigate the climate and how it affects or helps the growth and development of the different species on the planet.
In short, biology is used to know everything that is part of daily life on our planet , that is, everything that surrounds us. It is an indispensable science for the knowledge and development of life.
Areas studied by biology
As we have already said before, this science is part of man’s knowledge, that is why according to what you want to investigate, study or analyze it has been divided into various areas or branches, which are:
- It is responsible for the study of the organic functions of living beings.
- It is the study of plants.
- Study animals in all their aspects.
- It is in charge of the study of microorganisms.
- It is the science of biology that studies the inheritance of genes.
- He is in charge of studying remains of life from the past.
- Study the tissues.
- It is the study of bacteria.
- He is in charge of studying insects.
- It studies the interaction of living beings with the environment, that is, it evaluates ecosystems.
- It is the study that classifies living beings.
- Study of living matter in its physical state.
- Study the fertilized eggs in their development.
- Investigation of viruses.
- Study of fungi.
- It is in charge of the study of past ecosystems.
- It is the study of birds.
- Structural study of living beings.
- Study the manipulation and creation of cells, living tissues, or bacteria.
Importance of biology
The diversity of areas that biology has is of great importance for total well-being, therefore, not only the human being benefits, if not all living species on planet earth. Through the study of biology, the nature of animals, the human body and plants can be understood, allowing us to understand the different forms of life and in many cases save some of them, when they are under some type of threat.
Thanks to the knowledge acquired, it has been possible to advance in the health area, through the study of diseases that includes their origin, prevention, development, achieving in some cases obtaining benefits that improve said diseases in the short, medium or long term and even the total cure of some of these.
What is molecular biology for?
Evaluating molecules through their biological behavior, this science aims to study the different processes that occur in living beings, thus investigating the nature of life and its phenomena.
Molecular biology makes it possible to evaluate particular medical situations such as the study of resistant bacteria, managing to identify infections that may develop in the body, revealing more reliable medical diagnoses.
This science works hand in hand with others, for example, with cytology it studies the structure of the nucleus, ribosomes among others, with genetics it evaluates the structure of genes, that is, the area of study of this science is complex and very wide.
There are many topics of study within molecular biology, among the most prominent we can mention the identification of cells, the structure of DNA, the synthesis of proteins. Another important point of this science is that due to its breadth it is always in a constant search for treatments that allow us to obtain advances for the well-being of living beings.
Scope of molecular biology
Thanks to the techniques applied in molecular biology, different investigations have been developed with beneficial results for man. Some of these scopes are:
- The development of genetically modified foods, an example of this is the incorporation of the Bt gene in corn.
- The complete sequence of the human genome, contributing to the search for knowledge of human origin.
- The achievement of transgenic cows, which produce proteins in milk that are useful in the pharmacological world. An example of this is the creation of the Pampa Mansa cow in 2002.
Who is the father of biology?
Aristotle is considered the first father of biology, for having contributed great knowledge in this science. Born in 384 BC, he studied philosophy in Athens, standing out for his abilities, going from student to teacher in a short time. He was a pioneer for his studies in natural sciences, among his achievements we can mention the classification of nature and living beings by categories.
There are several scientists who after Aristotle have contributed great knowledge in the world of biology. Charles Darwin is considered the father of modern biology, for his contributions in the study of the origin of animal species.
Biology study method
Biology is always in a constant search for new knowledge, and to achieve this you can follow the following methods:
1. Empirical method
This method seeks conclusions through four fundamental steps such as observation that is accompanied by data collection, the formulation of a hypothesis with which provisional answers must be sought, the verification of the hypothesis through experimentation and by The last one concludes on the results obtained.
2. Deductive method
Through reasoning, it seeks conclusions based on certain principles, that is, it goes from the general to the more specific facts. This method can present two different ways to carry it out, which are:
- Direct deductive method: it is when a conclusion is reached through a single principle.
- Indirect deductive method: it is when a conclusion is reached based on two or more principles.
3. Inductive method
It is a method that is established by means of particular facts, which yield general conclusions, that is, the facts are those that offer the evidence for the conclusion to have authenticity. It is very flexible and is usually used to formulate hypotheses or theories.
The method begins with the observation of facts, which must be analyzed and then classify all the information acquired, establish patterns and conclude an investigation.
Differences between the deductive and inductive method
Considering that both methods tend to be very similar, it is convenient for our readers to establish some differences between them, in order to achieve a better understanding.
The inductive method focuses more on investigations that generate new theories, unlike the deductive method that is more useful in the verification of these theories.
The inductive method seeks general conclusions from particular facts, while the deductive method seeks specific conclusions from general premises.
Conclusion on the biology
Throughout the existence of man, there are many discoveries and advances that have been made for the well-being of humanity, many of these achievements go hand in hand with biology and all the areas of study that occur within this science so fascinating.
The study of the human body, plants and all animal species is undoubtedly the responsibility of biology, that is, thanks to this science we better understand the different forms of life and the environment that surrounds them, and it can be said that La Biology is the key for every organism to live and develop.
Finally, there are many investigations and studies that can be carried out thanks to advances in biology, it being understood that with the passage of time this science will provide better knowledge that in any case will benefit and contribute to the future development of the humanity.